If you’re interested in buying a gun from a licensed firearm dealer, you should know that there are steps involved in the process. The gun dealer must submit your information to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) in order for you to legally complete the purchase. The Federal Bureau of Investigation has done hundreds of millions of these checks since the system was first introduced in 1998.
The word “instant” in the NICS system is broadly accurate—90 percent of buyers are approved instantly and take home a firearm on the same day. Only 2 percent of buyers are rejected via the system. Although it’s far from perfect, it provides a good way to disqualify suspicious buyers of guns in Barberton, OH and throughout the United States. Let’s look at how the system works:
- Once you’ve decided to buy a gun, you’ll have to fill out form 447.3. It includes information on your background, drug use and criminal history. The gun dealer will then call the NICS and provide them with the information on the form, along with your Social Security number.
- The FBI is looking for any indication that you might be a high-risk individual in this background check. The most common reason that applications are rejected is a history of felony convictions. History of domestic abuse or mental illness can also disqualify you from legally purchasing firearms. Fugitives from justice and drug users are also likely to fail the screening.
- The FBI utilizes three databases when evaluating whether individuals should be approved to purchase guns in Barberton, OH and beyond. These include the Interstate Identification System, the National Crime Information Center and the NICS Indices. These databases provide a wide range of information on criminal history at the federal, state and local levels.
- The federal government provides guidelines for how these background checks must be handled. However, it’s worth noting that 21 states go farther than federal recommendations and provide additional screening measures.
- The system isn’t without its problems. Some issues include records simply missing and not being entered into the relevant databases. Other times it’s not clear whether an individual is prohibited from owning firearms. Unfortunately, there have been many cases where individuals purchased guns legally, only to then use them in crimes.
Are you looking for a reputable dealer in guns in Barberton, OH? Then check out Sydmor’s Jewelry and Pawn Shop. We’re a locally owned and operated, full-service pawn shop with more than six decades in the business. We’ve built a reputation for being fair, reasonably priced and offering superior customer service.
We provide customers the option of buying, selling or loaning their items. We’re involved in the buying and selling of jewelry, electronics, guns, tools and more. We’re the only federally licensed firearm dealer in the area. We also loan cash and offer cash for gold. Stop by our store today to learn more about what we have to offer—we look forward to working with you!
Categorised in: Guns
This post was written by Writer